#Attribution1 { display: none; }

Book Review: The One [spoilers]



Title: The One (The Selection #3)
Author: Kiera Cass
Publisher: HarperTeen
Published: May 6, 2014
Rating: 2.5 Stars

Synopsis:
The highly anticipated conclusion to Kiera Cass's #1 New York Timesbestselling Selection series, The One will captivate readers who love dystopian YA fiction and fairy tales. The One is the perfect finale for fans who have followed America's whirlwind romance since it began--and a swoon-worthy read for teens who have devoured Veronica Roth'sDivergent, Ally Condie's Matched, or Lauren Oliver's Delirium.
The Selection changed America Singer's life in ways she never could have imagined. Since she entered the competition to become the next princess of Illéa, America has struggled with her feelings for her first love, Aspen--and her growing attraction to Prince Maxon. Now she's made her choice . . . and she's prepared to fight for the future she wants.
Find out who America will choose in The One, the enchanting, beautifully romantic third book in the Selection series!

YES
. This book is getting 2.5 stars. The One was the best book in the Selection Trilogy but one of the worst books I've ever read - which says a lot about the trilogy itself.

POSITIVE AREA OF MY REVIEW

I felt the need to place a "positive area" because I realized (after many friends pointed out) that I sound so hateful. Anyways, carrying on. Like I've said, this IS the best book in the trilogy and let's be frank, Cass tried to remedy her not-so-wonderful writing habits does she even have "wonderful" habits? found in the other books. America was less insufferable (but insufferable nonetheless), the romance was better and made me cringe less. 

Really, I did notice her improvements and that's great. She's learning from her mistakes and righting her wrongs, that's all we can ask for from a human being. I DID enjoy this book, don't get me wrong, but I'm SO FRUSTRATED because I SEE the potential in the plot.

It. Has. So. Much. Potential.


.

It makes me want to pull my hair out that Cass wasn't able to exploit all her opportunities to make this book fantastic because it was definitely not fantastic and turn a timid Princess-y book into an ear-splitting call for change in our societal hierarchy. Like I said, it HAS POTENTIAL.

I've been looking at it the wrong way, I guess. This book is not supposed to be THAT kind of book that presents a head-strong protagonist who leads a revolution and changes the world, I guess it's a more tamed down version of YA Dystopians. Still, it disappoints me BECAUSE: PO-TEN-TIAL. 

NEGATIVE AREA:

The only reason I read this book was for Maxon - and Maxon alone. What a shallow reason! I know. Well, he's the only character that I remotely like. I only needed to know who got the crown and won The Selection, I wasn't bothered with anything else. I thought of simply googling what happens instead of wasting my time with the book but I thought, "hey, it would be unfair to the author, besides, you started the series... you might as well finish it."


Once more, I should've listened to my intuition. I definitely should've just googled it



This book was a waste of time. Which is contradictory to my personality because I'm the girl who enjoys royalty, princes & drama. This book has it all! BUT WAIT, it had the concept but lacked in execution, just like many YA books nowadays. I was hoping, SO BAD, that The One would make up for the Selection and The Elite, but it didn't! Yes, it was better than it's predecessors but neither did it give justice to the series, OR ANYTHING for that matter.

I HATED IT, and HERE'S WHY:

NO. 1: AMERICA SINGER, I don't think I have ever hated a protagonist as much in my life! America is the most selfish, immature, idiotic, indecisive, shallow character I've ever read about! I was waiting for her character to develop since The Selection but she didn't! If only she was even a more remotely loveable character then I would've liked, or even LOVED, this book. BUT SHE WASN'T! It is immensely hard to like a book when the reader receives impulsive urges to reach into the book and strangle the life out of the narrator.

NO. 2: THE MOST EPIC FAIL OF A LOVE TRIANGLE SINCE TWILIGHT, this was a huge surprise for me because I don't mind love triangles that much. I see their potential - IF HANDLED CORRECTLY. Like Cassandra Clare's The Infernal Devices trilogy. But Maxon, Aspen & America's relationship WAS JUST A DISASTER. I did not feel any … solid mutual feelings between Aspen and America, they were simply thrown into the book to "spice" things up. Maxon did things to prove his love, but America… did she do anything? Yeah, sure, she did some here and there… but when it really counted? NO.

NO. 3: PLOT-DEVELOPMENT, predictable, predictable, predictable.

There were so MANY UNNECESSARY parts! Like America's father dying, what does his death have anything to do with the plot? Did it affect anything? Aside from America who was - predictably - sad, but what did it do to develop the relationship between America and anyone? Did it have any significant impact to the ending? NONE. All we get from his death was that he was a rebel - and i won't even mark that as a spoiler because it's SOOO PREDICTABLE. Then there's Paige, who is another UNNECESSARY character that had no reason whatsoever to appear in the book. We meet her, she goes into the kitchen then we NEVER hear from her again… SO WHAT WAS THE POINT??

NO. 4: WORLD-BUILDING = LACKING. I understand that this is about The Selection - thus explaining the title, but what about the rest of the world? What about the other countries? What are the situations in Australia for example? Does the United Nations still exist, why has no one interfered with Ilea's government yet? If they're lacking soldiers then why won't they simply recruit members from Caste Six or Seven or Eight? Can they not afford it?

What - exactly - is the economic standing of Ilea? Is the country - itself - poor or are the majority of the people suffering only because the high-profile individuals of society are hogging the country's riches? 



If you look hard enough, you'll find more flaws in The One, but these 4 I provided should knock enough sense into readers as to why I felt the need to give this book 2.5 stars. I would've rated it 2 stars but I promised myself that if a certain someone survived then I'd give it an extra star, but it was SO BAD that I gave it half a star instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment