#Attribution1 { display: none; }

Book Review: Allegiant




Title: Allegiant (Divergent #3)
Author: Veronica Roth
Publisher: HarperCollins
Published: October 22, 2013
Reviewer: Lyanna
Rating: 1 star

Synopsis:

The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories. 

But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love. 

Told from a riveting dual perspective, Allegiant, by #1 New York Times best-selling author Veronica Roth, brings the Divergent series to a powerful conclusion while revealing the secrets of the dystopian world that has captivated millions of readers in Divergent and Insurgent.



I HATED IT to the point that I wanted to throw this book in hell to burn in the infernos, never to see the light of day ever again. To place it lightly, it was a disappointment.

I finished it just for the sake of finishing it, it wasn't enjoyable, it wasn't funny, it wasn't dramatic, it wasn't heart-breaking, it wasn't anything! I feel betrayed, I feel so betrayed because I held so much admiration and love for the Divergent series, I looked up to Veronica Roth as an author, I loved the Divergent world, and in return I get a HALF-ASSED WRITTEN BOOK THAT CAN PASS AS A BIPOLAR 12-YEAR OLD'S ENGLISH HOMEWORK!!


If you liked this book then I highly suggest that you don't read this review because I don't want to offend any hardcore fans.

I LOVED THE DIVERGENT SERIES, BUT THAT DOES NOT APPLY TO THE LAST BOOK.

There is a difference between a good story-teller and a good story-maker, I think Veronica Roth falls in the latter because her books are filled with new ideas! They're refreshing and wonderful if… they were executed well, which they were not. (In this book)

SPOILER AREA

THE PLOT

WHAT KIND OF PLOT WAS THAT? This book was so slow, and like I've said before, I have actually legitimately considered burning it to ashes. It was so dull that I felt like tearing my hair off my scalp to find some form of entertainment while reading this stupid excuse of a book.

I've come to the conclusion that this book was poorly thought-out, unsure of where it's heading, leading it's already disjointed aspects to divide further away from cohesion. It's like oh hey I need an explanation let's throw in a shit-load of war history concerning genes then call it a day. There is a difference between plot-twists and throwing in irrelevant aspects into the story that doesn't fit in with the previous books' plots!

How CAN you be categorised into factions? It's simply IMPOSSIBLE, one must be BRAVE enough to say the truth. To be selfless, one must be KIND enough to think of others. To be smart, one must acknowledge the importance of TRUTH in science. stupid. Basically, everyone should be Divergent. Which eliminates the idea of factions altogether.

AND THEN THERE WAS TRIS' DEATH. It was a useless plot twist. (If it even deserves the title of "plot twist" since it was the most predictable one out there.) I DO NOT, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SEE HOW HER DEATH HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE PLOT, It changes nothing and affects no one except for probably Tobias and her close friends. SO WHAT WAS THE POINT?

I know why, because Veronica Roth wanted to end with a BANG. Nice try Ms. V, didn't work.

I would've preferred it if Caleb died, not that I like Tris anymore than I like Caleb, but because this was his last shot at redeeming himself as a character. With the end that Roth spewed out, we get no contentment on Caleb's part, he remains a coward just as he did before and even though that might have been what Veronica wanted it didn't reflect well on the story.

Veronica also said that it was Tris' final act of selflessness, couldn't she be selfless and smart?! Tris changing plans and barging into danger like that was not selfless, it was DENSE. Quoting Tobias from Divergent, "there is a fine line between bravery and stupidity." Tris falls in the latter.

THE PERSPECTIVES

THIS PART OF THE BOOK MADE ME CRINGE THE MOST. Allegiant was written from two perspectives; Tobias' and Tris', it's obvious from this little detail that Tris was going to die because why else would the author decide to write the last book in a series wherein only one character has narrated consistently ever since? Because so far, that's the only reason I see on why she wrote it that way.

We usually see dual/multiple perspectives in books if we have a parallel plot line. A plot where the narrators are either in two different areas or two different time frames. BUT NO, THE ONLY REASON VERONICA MADE IT A DUAL-PERSPECTIVE WAS SO THAT WHEN TRIS DIED WE GET TO SEE TOBIAS BEING ALL LONELY, DOPEY, AND WEAK. Here's a suggestion: Instead of making it dual-perspective and having the readers go through tedious work of puzzling who's who, maybe it could've been written from Tris' perspective like in the previous books then when Tris dies, have an epilogue in Tobias' perspective! BUT NOPE, apparently, that was too much to ask for.


There was no parallel plot line, there were no different time frames, there weren't even that many times when Tobias and Tris weren't together! Whatever Tris found out, she'd relay to Tobias and vice versa. It became wearying reading from their perspectives I had to flip back every ten or so pages to find out who was narrating because Tris and Tobias sounded like the exact same person, which reflects poorly to the author's writing.

CHARACTERS:

Tris: Stupid, reckless & brave, but still stupid enough to get herself killed.
Tobias: overly sensitive and emotional, inconsistent from other books.

Everyone else: not important enough in the story to make it into this review. We learn nothing new about Uriah, Cara or even Susan! What happened to Susan?! If we removed these characters then it wouldn't even have made a difference to the plot. Literally they were unnecessary, and that's a low point because they were the only characters I enjoyed.

Tobias' development was also rash and rough. He went from being this untouchable, stoic, brave, level-headed character to an emotional, unstable, dim-witted baby. Which ultimately eliminates any feelings I had left for him, (huge shame since he and Uriah are the only ones I care about in Divergent).

Uriah (who is one of the most widely liked characters in Roth's series) was also mainly left out of the scene, he was of no help to the progression and almost as if he was pushed as an after thought. He also deserved a more noble death.

OVERALL:

This wasn't the worse book I've read, but I'm only saying that because--like I've said before--Divergent holds a special place in my heart and formed me into the reader I am today. Without that, then yes, this would be (one of) the worst book(s) I've read.

No comments:

Post a Comment