#Attribution1 { display: none; }

Book Review: These Broken Stars



Title: These Broken Stars
Author: Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Published: December 10, 2013
Reviewer: Lyanna
Rating: 4/5 stars

Synopsis:

It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone.

Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they’re worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help.

Then, against all odds, Lilac and Tarver find a strange blessing in the tragedy that has thrown them into each other’s arms. Without the hope of a future together in their own world, they begin to wonder—would they be better off staying here forever?

Everything changes when they uncover the truth behind the chilling whispers that haunt their every step. Lilac and Tarver may find a way off this planet. But they won’t be the same people who landed on it.
 


Review


I read These Broken Stars without knowing what it was about. We were out in the country and I was bored out of my wits, I had to read something, but nothing came to mind so I asked my friend to tell me the first book that she thought of when I say "stars" and she said The Fault in our Stars but I already read that, so I asked her again and she said These Broken Stars and so I thought:


Why not?

Thank the stars my friend recommended it.

I really enjoyed this book but it was too much of a little of every cliche romance novel on the planet. Poor boy falls in love with rich girl, it's usually how terrible soap operas begin so I was iffy from the start.


There's also the fact that it occurs in outer-space


I'm not a fan of outer-space adventures or intergalactic-ness in general because it's endless, infinite and fucking huge, man it makes me dizzy just thinking about it, it's hard to explain but the idea of being in an infinite sea of space scares me more than anything except maybe death and spiders.

... but I read it anyways. Call me crazy or determined, or awesome, thank you very much but I had a gut feeling telling me that there's more to it than poor-boy-falls-in-love-with-rich-girl, and...

I was right  


I was SOO right 

You see, that's the thing about assumptions and beginnings, they usually never do the whole thing justice. Except for Beautiful Creatures which was horrible from the start to the end, These Broken Stars is a perfect example.

I'd like to cut to the chase so I'll divide this review to things I liked and didn't like.

THINGS I LIKED: 

[x] The Whispers: it gives an edge to the story.

[x] Tarver's perspective: OKAY... OKAAAY, If you've been reading my reviews then you know how hard it is to please me with perspectives, especially from males. Tarver, pleasantly enough, was a tolerable male character to read from. NOT ONLY was he tolerable but I found myself enjoying reading from his point of view just as much. He's got a great sense of humour and individuality, I like the things he notices about Lilac without over-doing it. 

[x] The build-up between Tarver and Lilac: They didn't land on the island, look at each other and think "I'm going to love this person because he/she is perfect and beautiful and look at her dress and look at his muscles." NO, THANK STARS, it wasn't that shallow. Their relationship took bumps, got smashed here and there, was tempered in fire, travelled through jungles, crossed plains, experienced the unnatural and had undergone utter hopelessness before they came out as a couple. THAT, PEOPLE, IS HOW RELATIONSHIPS WORK.



THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE: 

[x] Lilac: I don't hate her. I don't like her much either. I wish her character could've developed in a swifter way. I don't agree with most of her choices. She's had her reputable moments and not-so-reputable moments. I guess she's not so bad as a character but I did not quite take pleasure in reading from her point of view.

[x] Lack of humour: Though I enjoyed the mystery and thrill, the adventure and the romance, it felt awfully dry in the comedy department. A few laughs would've completed this book for me.

[x] Dull moments: Somewhere in the middle, I considered putting the book down. It was so repetitive, wake up, trek, survive the day, hear whispers, sleep, repeat. It doesn't last long, soon enough it picks up again but I would've preferred that the monotony not be there in the first place.

In the end, this isn't the most perfect book I've ever read nor was it bad or anything such, but for someone who avoids books about space at all costs, I really really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment