#Attribution1 { display: none; }

Book Review: The Book Thief


Title: The Book Thief
Author: Markus Zusak
PublisherKnopf Books
Published: March 14, 2006
Rating: [5/5]

Synopsis:

It's just a small story really, about, among other things, a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery.

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak's groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can't resist: books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids - as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.


I read this a long long time ago but I'd just like to share the way I thought about it the moment I finished reading it.  There are spoilers. Hope you enjoy!  -Lea


This book review is one of many that you will read but one thing its writer can offer is a true-to-the-heart revelation of her insights toward the book.
This book review consists of the following:
-an explosion of feelings
-a very dry pun
-a truthful confession
This book review is quite simple really, so now, she will begin to relate her feelings:


Have you ever experienced a sense of peacefulness that, through time, you have been getting used to enjoying? Have you ever experienced it being disrupted by a bomb of agony and pain, too heavy to bear which breaks you at the very end?  This is what the Book Thief did to me. It deluded me  into perceiving a sense of security, then abruptly snatched it away from me, leaving me bearing with the trauma.

I won't lie.  The book had some good sharp jags at me in the middle parts, but they never hurt me as much as the ending. It was an 'explosive' finale (You see the pun? Yes, I have a dry sense of humor).

The plot was good.  The story, endearing.  It's not completely ordinary, it was well thought-of.  The turn of events all contributed in making a captivatingly charming story, instead of a suspense-riddled one.  It was simply heart-felt and realistic.  It was so charming that it fooled me into thinking that everything can turn out fine.  But of course, that's not true.

What was extraordinary about the book was: its creativity. The style of the author, wonderfully unique. How many books do you know are written in the point of view of Death? The formatting of the book didn't make it boring, it made it interesting and easy:

1. An introduction consisting of some peeks at the actual story of the book
2.The use of bullet points and numbering; the narrator's side comments and
    supplementary (sometimes humorous)  additions to the story
3. 10 Divided parts which provides the reader some mystery
4.The sideline stories of the narrator which offers you a breather
5. All the rest (You get the idea)

This is the only book I know wherein the narrator himself will spoil you. The style of the author is elaborately mysterious which perfectly matched the personality of its narrator.

I absolutely loved the creativity.
Reading the book was a remedy to my stress.
It was simply a breath of fresh air, a ray of sunshine.
Even if it was painful, it still left me in awe; I was inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment