#Attribution1 { display: none; }

Book Review: Breathe, Annie, Breathe

Title: Breathe, Annie, Breathe
Author: Miranda Kenneally
Publisher: Sourcebooks fire
Published: July 15, 2014
Reviewer: Lyanna
Rating: 5 stars


Synopsis:

Annie hates running. No matter how far she jogs, she can’t escape the guilt that if she hadn’t broken up with Kyle, he might still be alive. So to honor his memory, she starts preparing for the marathon he intended to race.

But the training is even more grueling than Annie could have imagined. Despite her coaching, she’s at war with her body, her mind—and her heart. With every mile that athletic Jeremiah cheers her on, she grows more conflicted. She wants to run into his arms…and sprint in the opposite direction. For Annie, opening up to love again may be even more of a challenge than crossing the finish line.  


Review


Here's a short pre-Breathe, Annie, Breathe history:

I'm a very athletic person.

Not boasting or anything, but I would totally ditch a movie date to go running (okay maybe not so true, I guess it depends on the movie but you get my point). That said, I think it's pretty obvious why this book caught my eye. Are you catching on yet?

Well, if you haven't then here's why;

I recently joined the track & field team, my event is 800m and my time is crappy as hell (i'm working on it), running is my yoga, it calms me, in a sadistic, self-destructive way. So you've probably caught on by now: I picked this book up because it involved my sport.

Wait! Don't throw shoes at me yet!

I know, I know okay! This book is part of the Hundred Oaks series, and it's the fifth book! But i. Didn't. Know. That. when I picked it up, nope, ignorant 'Ole Me was completely oblivious. Don't be mad, imagine how I felt halfway through the book when I found out it was the fifth book of a six-book series. I seriously considered putting it down to read the first four books.

Not that I haven't heard of Hundred Oaks, oh I've heard of it alright, I just didn't catch the name of the author, or if I did then it didn't stick to me. Racing Savannah (Hundred Oaks #5) and Catching Jordan (Hundred Oaks #1) have been on my TBR-list for eons! So now (after finishing Breathe, Annie, Breathe) I've finally gotten that push to read the rest of the series (which, truthfully, I've been dutifully trying to avoid). 

Actual Review:

Breathe Annie, Breathe left me (excuse the pun) breathless. 

It's got the right amount of angst, romance, SPORTS, friendship, SPORTS, family, SPORTS, thrill, SPORTSSSSSSS and development in it. 

The premise of the story itself was so endearing. We see this eighteen year old girl who decides to let her deceased boyfriend go by joining the marathon he's been training for to honour his memory one last time. 

I enjoyed Breathe, Annie, Breathe immensely. It genuinely stirred up raw emotions that made it even more meaningful. It's the kind of book that you can't stop reading once you've started, or if you do then you won't be able to keep it off your mind. It's the kind of book that you bring to the bathroom even if you only need to pee, (too much info?) the kind of book that keeps you hooked all through out. 

Miranda Kenneally was able to show how grief and loss can make us stronger instead of holding us back, she was able to write a story to inspire young readers to run that extra mile and overcome those challenges because (as cliche as this sounds) if we put our minds to it, nothing is impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment